The first 3 weeks

Week 1: 

The first day comprised of Oscar's orientation, Jamie’s overview of daily duties in food bank, and Jenny’s run-down of kitchen duties and the new kitchen’s features. That first week was one of general observation and getting the feel of how best to serve clients with regards to the tone of the service exchange and choice of words used. I realised that I learn and gain confidence more by observing initially, as opposed to jumping straight in, as the work is important and the clientele require sensitive treatment. I needed to get a gauge on what a normal week in ASC's Nutrition department looks like. One of the ways I did this was by comparing the methods of service between the other servers, who have their own unique way of interacting with their customers. An incident with a disgruntled client occurred on the first day that week but I could not observe proceedings as I had to leave for work. I then learned the purpose of the duress button/ emergency response team on that day. 


Week 2: 

Jumped right in and had my turn to serve in the food bank this week. Administered to client orders and assisted in the management of stock, which is required to be periodically replenished. I was soon learning how best to say no to clients requesting for items beyond their quota limit, with choice of words being “we need to share with everyone”. (Still learning how best to do this effectively and sensitively, as all clients are faced with challenges and require as much of the Centre's help as possible). The ultimate goal of the ASC after all, as Jamie mentioned, is the best case scenario where they become independent of the food bank. Until then however, we hope to serve as a supplementary resource for them. Receiving the routine deliveries from Ozharvest, Woolworths as well as large volumes of grocery donations from charitable supporters are also part of the weekly duties. I was surprised by the confidence I had gained in the kitchen with every lunch service, particularly with the sole chef from St Vincent’s Hospital who only had me to help him prep on that one instance (it was his first day there). Fortunately the new industrial-grade kitchen they have installed is very intuitive. 


Week 3: 

Worked on course module and got bearings on assessments briefly in the main hall which became full with clients very quickly. They are amazing people seeking a new life and a better future for their kids. One woman wrangling her toddlers was amazed that I was going to school on the Internet. "I want that one too", she said enthused. A team of lunch volunteers was unable to be organised that day, so I was able to assist with a lunch service provided by the Centre on short notice. The meal was as warm and nutritious as any other of the home cooked spreads brought by an assigned team of volunteers. The following day involved training up a third group of lunch service volunteers on the functions of the kitchen and establishing a firm routine. I have noticed, in my limited experience, that although the kitchen can run efficiently with 3 people, 5 may be the optimal number on most days as the lunch room often serves a large number of clients.

Comments